2 min read
16 Apr

Register to vote deadline is today 16th April.

Deadline for registering to vote in the 2 May 2024 elections

Register by 11:59pm on 16 April 2024 to vote in the following elections on 2 May 2024:

  • Police and Crime Commissioner elections in England and Wales

Note there are no other local elections taking place in Radford Semele on the 2nd May.

Who can register

You must be aged 16 or over (or 14 or over in Scotland and Wales).

You must also be one of the following:

  • a British citizen
  • an Irish or EU citizen living in the UK
  • a Commonwealth citizen who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission
  • a citizen of another country living in Scotland or Wales who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission

Check which elections you’re eligible to vote in

You normally only need to register once - not for every election. You’ll need to register again if you’ve changed your name, address or nationality. 

Register online

It usually takes about 5 minutes. 

Start now 

What you need to know

You’ll be asked for your National Insurance number (but you can still register if you do not have one).

After you’ve registered, your name and address will appear on the electoral register.

There’s a different process to register anonymously, for example if you’re concerned about your safety or the safety of someone in your household.

Check if you’re already registered

Contact your local Electoral Registration Office to find out if you’re already registered to vote. 

Update your registration

If you live in the UK you can also use this service to:

  • change your name, address or nationality
  • get on or off the open register

To do this, you need to register again with your new details (even if you’re already registered to vote).

Register using a paper form

You can register using a paper form in England, Wales and Scotland.

If you live abroad

You can use this service to register to vote if you’re a British citizen.

You may need your passport details.

To renew your registration or update your name, address or nationality, contact the Electoral Registration Office that confirmed you are registered as an overseas voter.

If you previously lived in Northern Ireland and want to vote there, use the Northern Ireland overseas elector registration form.

If you’re a public servant posted overseas

There’s a different service for public servants (and their spouses and civil partners) who are posted overseas as:

Get help registering

You can get help registering from your local Electoral Registration Office.

There’s an easy read guide about registering to vote